Monday 30 June 2008

Swift Bitter

It's about time the Fledgling Brewery produced another bird related beer, so in coming up with a recipe that I hope could become a regular brew I've also named it after the Swifts I sat watching cruising around the sky yesteray evening, so Swift Bitter it will be.



I'm targetting a medium strength 4.6%abv (1.048) bitter with around 35-40IBU, 90% Pale, 5% Crystal and 5% Torrified Wheat, I've heard that Challenger and Goldings work very well together so for a 50L brewlength at 70% efficiency this is the recipe I'll be going for.

Grist
9.8kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter 90%
550g Crystal Malt 5%
550g Torrified Wheat 5%

Hops
100g Challenger [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 31.1 IBU
35g Challenger [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
50g Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] Steeped during cooling at 80 degrees for 15 mins.

I'm probably also going to dry hop one of the kegs when the time comes, just to see the difference it makes, i'll probably add 10g Goldings in a muslin bag.

Hopefully I'll get to brew this up next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough I was thinking the same thing the other day, it's been a while since the last bird related brew.

Even Stranger is the fact that the last "bird brew" Skylark Best Bitter was hopped exclusively with challenger and goldings!

Unfortunately the only new birds I've seen recently are Chiffchaffs (sp?) and I'm not sure I'd drink a Chiffchaff Bitter!

Wez said...

LOL probably for the best that neither of us have spotted any "Chough" (pronounced chuff) then. Eyebrows would be raised by Mrs Wezbrew if I named a beer "Chuff Pale Ale" and then telling her "I'm off to pull another 'Chuff'" or "If you want be I'll be in the garage sampling some of that 'chuff'"

I'm hoping to bottle some of the Thirst Gold and this Swift Bitter which i'll send on.

Anonymous said...

Or a Titmouse fnarr fnarr. We did once have a Woodcock in the garden, that would have made an alarming beer!

I have a couple of bottles of Hop Monster and Jolly Roger in the shed with your name on, I'll have to release some of the gas before I send them as I fear I may have overprimed them. That said they're both tasty brews and I'd recommend you culture the Cairngorm yeast in them as it blows S04 out of the water.