Monday 9 July 2007

Fledgling Brewery - Homebrew Equipment

Here are a few images of the equipment that I use to make my beer at home.

This is my Coolbox Mash Tun, the coolbox was kindly donated by my good friend Simon, I did feel guilty after not asking him if I could drill holes in it so I got him a Woodfordes Wherry kit as compensation. It does a very good insulating job and when it has it's lid on and is wrapped up it the 'beer quilt' it normally only looses about half a degree C over a 90 minute mash.

This is my homemade Copper Manifold which fits neatly into the bottom of the coolbox. It's purpose is to filter the wort at the end of the mash and hold back the particles that I don't want getting to my beer. The instructions for putting together a coolbox mash tun can be found HERE Thanks DaaB!

This is my 30 Litre Boiler which I purchased from Leyland Homebrew The one that they do 'off the shelf' only comes it one element fitted, I asked the guy there to add an extra element to reduce the time it takes to bring water/wort to the boil. With both elements on the boil is too vigorous so when I get a rolling boil one of them is unplugged. The copper pipe at the bottom is a Hop Strainer which as the name suggests post boil strains the hops.

This is my Immersion Chiller, it is put into the wort immediately after the boil to cool the wort rapidly to get a good 'cold break' it works by having cold water passed through it within the coiled copper micro-bore pipe, this water then comes out of the other end of it very hot after exchanging heat with the hot wort.

To be continued...