Monday 28 January 2008

Evening Brewing Again...

I'm pretty (no actually very) low on stocks at the moment, in fact the only home produced beer I have right now is no where near ready and has only just been put into the beer fridge to crash cool with 50 ml aux-fining's after fermentation finished. That Beer is Randy Sparrow the FG was 1.012 from an OG of 1.044 so using the formula (OG minus FG / 7.45) it should be around 4.3% it tasted great from the sample jar the Fuggles really stand out and there is a lovely aftertaste that I've had in other beers where Challenger has been the bittering hop. It's turned out a nice light copper colour, I'm going to be strict with myself and not tap this one until it's ready (about 5 weeks from now).

To get the stocks back up I'm going to brew another batch of Big Kenny there are a couple of reasons for choosing this beer, firstly I thought it was bloody good, secondly before Christmas I dared to take a bottle to a friend of mine who works for a very well established brewery and he's on their tasting panel, he tried it and liked it so much so that he's asked me to brew it again so that he can pass some bottles to their head brewer for his opinion and also present some to the tasting panel!! - Better make sure I get this one right! (Cheers Neil BTW)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a top result with the Big Kenny there Wez, the feedback should be a boon for future brews and who knows if they like it enough you could end up having the recipe bought off you!

I've just been contacted by the Darlington Traditional Brewing Group through Jim's place and I've been offered a pint or two round one of their members house when the chap gets his bar back up and running again. It should be a giggle if nothing else!

Wez said...

Hey, could you imagine that! I did enjoy the old BK myself, can't wait to see what the rest of the panel think of it.

Sounds like you're in for a good night with fellow brewers in the near future.

I like this brewing lark, it's got legs!

Anonymous said...

I like this brewing lark, it's got legs!

Which is pretty ironic because if you have too much of the product you'll end up legless - arf! On a more sensible note it's a pretty good hobby to have.